Thursday, December 11, 2008

My Best Friend



There is nothing like sitting in the duck hole with my best hunting buddy Gabe! We harvested a limit of woodducks on Wed. and he performed wonderfully. I found a great log where I could sit down behind some brush and positioned him on a log behind me. Everytime he would make a retrieve he would stop by my log, give me the duck and go sit back down. NOW THAT IS SERVICE! (Too bad he doesn't deliver coffee....I could have used some!) As we sat in silence, I remembered all the good times that we have had together. I remember picking him up from the kennel as a pup. Round as a butterball and full of so much love! As I glanced back at him, I could still see that young dog, even though the reflection of him has changed to much larger and with more gray hair under his chin. His years adding up much faster than mine his eyes looking more distant as if seeing things yet to come. I have cherished the time that we have spent together and hope that I have not squandered any of it. You will always be more than just a dog to me, your my friend.

No comments: