Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Success on Annual Hunt!




Dr. Layton and I went on our annual hunting trip on December 3rd. We started this tradition many years ago and I am happy to say that it has continued! We were hunting in a creek bottom that we had frequented in the past. The weather was predicted to have rain and strong winds approaching that night and therefore hopefully make the deer move. I slipped into my stand location and placed 3 cotton balls around my stand soaked in Tink's #69 deer lure. After settling into my climbing stand, I began calling with my grunt call and bleat can. At 4:45 I heard something to my left. Turning around I saw a buck approaching my scent stations. The deer stopped at 10 yards and I shot him with my 45/70. I got down and recovered the deer. 8 pts 12" spread. He is a trophy in my book because it was the first deer that I have taken with the gun that I bought with the gift card I recieved from the Entomology Dept as a going away present. Not only that.... taking the deer with my former boss there made it even that more special!

No comments: